The glamorous life of a designer.


After three months of staring at this computer screen eight hours a day, I'm just going to repeat the wisdom of whoever said, "It's a fun job, but it's still a job."  (I always hear it in the voice of Cypress Hill.)

I've been doing a lot of pre-press setup and will be for quite a while, but I can't complain.  I do get to do a few creative projects-- it's all arguably creative, a discussion for a different day-- but the reason I'm not disgusted with being stuck at a desk all day is I'm solving problems.  It always comes down to problem-solving eventually.  How am I going to fit this logo on the car door without the door handle interrupting it (see below)?  How am I going to please this client, who wants everything bigger and bolder, while still maintaining the legibility she doesn't know she needs?  How am I going to get these three projects done today without compromising on quality?  

The other thing I do in this job is communicate.  "Yes, it's all about visual communication bla bla bla..."  That too, but no.  I mean talking to people via email, phone, and especially face-to-face.  If you can't communicate with your coworker about why one arrangement is better than another, your glorious compositional eye is wasted.  Skewer it with a fork and throw it against a wall.  The more persuasive designer's sketch will go on to become the final design.  Bank Gothic and all.


Besides the fact that solving a problem is rewarding to a young designer like myself, I don't see its importance ever being reduced.  If I were a senior designer basking in my finely balanced logo designs using carefully-selected weights of expensive fonts, I would still be solving problems and communicating with people.  There would only be more pressure involved.

Bring it.